Friday, November 25, 2016

Review: The Prince and The Pauper

The Prince and the PauperThe Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This rather short book took me quite awhile to get through. It's not that it's bad. In fact, after struggling through the first 60 pages for a couple of weeks, I read the rest of the book in a single day. This is not because it picks up considerably, but rather because I had the time. It's the kind of book that doesn't grip you because you pretty much already know where it's headed. That's not the book's fault since many familiar tropes come from this famous novel (Any mistaken identity story has this book to thank as its inspiration). The fantastic satiric humor of Twain is of course present, but it doesn't have the same grip or relevancy as Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, or A Confederate Yankee in King Arthur's Court. It's kind of just blah. A fun book, to be sure, but not a great one. You can pass on it.

View all my reviews

No comments: