Saturday, April 29, 2017

Review: The Giver

The Giver (The Giver, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jeez. I guess I'll go kill myself now. I know death is a popular theme in many Young Adult books, but man. This book takes it to another level. I mean, don't get me wrong. The Giver is a modern masterpiece. It's the kind of book I would easily put next to The Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby as a you-should-read-this-in-school kind of book, but it's so much more than that. Doing dystopia literature before it pretty much became the only content provided in YA, The Giver is a story of conformity and all its sickening problems. It is 1984 for the Clinton era. A stew of audacity and darkness for kids of all ages. I now want to read the rest of the books in the series, though I hear they're not as good.

View all my reviews

No comments: